2.12.2014

Abide in Him: What does that look like?!

Do you worry? Are you a worrier? I am, no doubt about it. I worry about big things, little things, real things, 'what if' things. And my worrying increased tremendously when I became a mom. Not only do I have myself and Robert to worry about, but these precious children God has entrusted me(us) with! It's a lot to handle! A lot of unneeded pressure and stress I put on myself.
 
 
A couple weeks ago, Pastor Alex gave an incredible message on worry, focused on Matthew 6:25-34. God was speaking to me through that message big time! The biggest thing He was (is) impressing upon my heart is to abide in Him. When I abide in Him, the things I worry about blur out of focus. My focus is on Him, not on the worries around me. My focus is on Who He is, how big He is. And my response and reaction to those worry changes because I know who's really in control. 

But when I'm not abiding in Him, my worries blur the reality of Who Jesus is. Matthew 6:32 says "These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your Heavenly Father already knows all your needs." Worrying dominates the thoughts of unbelievers, not born again believers! This really struck me. If I'm a new creation in Him (2 Corinthians 5:17), I should not be worrying, even obsessing at times, over things that I may or may not have control over. I need to be taking my thoughts captive and giving Him control over my mind!(Romans 12:2)

So what does that really look like in my daily life? Life is hard! There are unexpected tragedies and rough patches in life, so how can I not focus on those worries? How can I abide in Him?

~I have to be intentional about spending time with Him, not just 5 minutes with Him in the morning, but intentional, specific time to sit in His presence. To open His word, dig deep and read the words on the pages and let them sink deep into my heart.

~I have to sit quietly in His presence and let Him speak to me. I can be all too good at laying my requests, needs & desires at His feet and far too quick to move on about my day and not sit in His presence and let Him talk back to me.

~I have to submit to Him daily, sometime minute by minute, when the worries of life try to choke out His voice and presence. I've heard many times that if you're not already in a valley, then you've either just come out of one or you're about to enter one. That thought alone can cause me to worry. However, He has been impressing upon me that, although the valleys will come and life is guaranteed to be hard and bring heartache, I can be prepared for the battle when I'm abiding in Him, abiding in Him when the days are easy and the burdens are light. That way it's just second nature, just what I do, when those rough patches come along.

Since that message a few weeks ago, every single day in my time with Him, I have seen the words "abide in me" or "abide in Him". Is that a coincidence? No way! I'm listening, Lord, and I'm learning how to abide in You. I've been presented some opportunities within the last couple weeks to "put my money where my mouth is" and keep Him in focus and my worries out of focus. And I'm here to tell you, He's faithful to walk me through, or around, those worries!

Oh Simple Thoughts

12 comments:

  1. Great post and a great reminder that I know I needed! I am guilty of not devoting enough time EVERY single day to spending time with Jesus. Need to get better at that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful and something I'll be reading over and over! There are parts of my life that I know I've FINALLY given over to God, and then there are parts {like nursing school} that I still hold onto with clenched fists and a hard heart. Abide! Such a precious word! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you and me both on reading it again and again. Sometimes, a lot of the time, it takes me a long time to really learn things.

      Delete
  3. I'm the QUEEN of worrying! Thanks for this today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I am the biggest worrier ever. It's one thing that makes me really anxious about having kids, I'm afraid I'll make everyone miserable and be a mess! A lot of times I have to literally stop everything and just pray. I always have a tab on my ipad open with verses about worry/anxiety because it's the only way I can rid my anxiety- so thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can be a worrier too so I completely understand! Amazing how God provides us with comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another reminder of GREAT truths!!!! And ....yes...Pastor Alex's message spoke BIG TIME to me too!!! Thanks for sharing your heart honey!! God will continue to bless you and your family for your abiding in Him!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this, Kristal! I struggle with worrying and over-analyzing things, too, which then in turn creates anxiety and it's just a bad road to go down! I worry even when things are good - like they are right now - that at any moment, this could all come falling down on me. But I have to remember that eventually, it will and God will be there and I'll make it through it like I always have done in the past. Every time I start to worry about something I've been trying to pray and that has been helping. It's definitely a battle each and every day though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this openness Kristal! I can so relate to the struggle of worry. The passage in Matthew is so familiar to me. I often try to wake up early simply so I can take the time to hear the birds sing...it reminds me of what is said in that same passage in Matthew, "Look at the birds of the air, they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly father feeds them, Are you not of more value than they?" Even right now I can hear birds waking up outside out windows...The Lord will provide for us in the same way he cares for the sparrow...what a refreshing reality! He is worthy of our praise, and He is always GOOD! Thanks for linking up for our coffee date. It was a joy to hear your heart! Much love!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristal I am so glad I found you through Rachel's coffee date. I cant tell you how much I can relate to this! I often think of the "what ifs" and do nothing but stress and worry. I have to remember to only abide in Him and Him alone because I cant do anything alone. So thankful for you and your post!

    xoxo
    Lauren
    http://sincerelymrslo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a little note! I love hearing from you!!