4.01.2014

Serving with Joy


I'm excited to join with Maegan @ The Modern Tulip for this month's "Monthly Focus". For about a week, I've been thinking over what I'd like to focus on for the month of April and it came to me sitting in our church service on Sunday.

Serving...with joy.



In order to explain why I want to focus on this in April {and beyond}, I need to make a confession. For the past few weeks, I've had a really crappy attitude. And I didn't know why. I assumed it was hormones, or a lack of sleep, or the roller coaster "Spring" weather. But, really, it's been a selfish focus on myself that has caused my poor attitude.

My kids and husband are the ones who have faced the brunt of this attitude problem and they are the ones I want to be {and should be} loving and serving the most! Sure, the days can be long, but the years are so short and I don't want to miss a single moment of joy just because I have a self-centered attitude. So, it's time for a change. I'm ready to make that change.

I love being a wife and a mother. I really do! But I've been letting myself get in the way of joyfully serving Robert, Collin & Emma. During our church service on Sunday, we studied John 13, when Jesus washed the disciples feet, and what exactly that meant in that time period.

This is such an incredible and beautiful picture of Jesus, the Creator of Heaven and Earth, humbling Himself and taking the form of servant for the disciples...and me and you! And Philippians 2:6-7 tells us that Jesus willingly became a servant.

I want to be like Jesus. I want to willingly serve my family. And serve them joyfully. And this is the month to focus on doing just that. I'm going to wake up every morning, ready and thankful for another chance to serve my hubby and kiddos! Let's do this thing!

 

What about you? Is there anything you'd like to focus on this month?

Also linking up with Sassy Wife/Classy Life, The Ledford Life & Frankly My Dear for Tuesday Tea.

13 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE this focus! First of all thank you so much for joining in and linking up! I think this is beautiful. I myself have had a similar attitude lately and it's very humbling to remember that Christ was beaten, abused, laughed at, taunted and more, was still able to have a loving, servants heart. Goodness. If that doesn't smack me in the face I don't know what will. I pray your monthly focus is successful and not only benefits your family, but benefits your heart and happiness too! Xo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on having a bad attitude last month. I do think a lot of it had to do with the lack of vitamin D around here, but also my own selfishness and things not going my way. I need to remind myself daily that even Jesus asked if there was any other way than what was about to happen to Him on the cross, yet He still said Your will be done to the Father. I desire to have that heart attitude, especially when it comes to serving my family. To serve with a joyful heart even in the things that aren't exactly my cup of tea (ie. cleaning, laundry, etc.) I hope you wake up each morning this month (and after) with joy and a readiness to serve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great revelation and new attitude! You go girl! April is going to be good for you and your family I have a feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this! I SO want this too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love how you are willing to talk about your shortcomings. We'd all be a lot better if we could encourage people by sharing where we're not doing such a great job! God is obviously doing such a sweet work in you! Praying for you, friend!

    www.lincsmomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this..! I am looking forward to waking up joyfully and being there for my family as well..! Thanks so much for sharing.. What an inspiration..!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's kick our crap attitudes out the door! I'm with ya sister. I feel like my attitude when I step foot out of my bed each day is what sets my entire day, so I need to work on that too. And you know my focus, relaxing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to focus on surviving :) Its a busy month!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My attitude has been off as well...I think I need some sunshine and Jesus in my life! Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this! Towards the end of winter, I always find myself in a little bit of a funk. I'm just so over the weather and being stuck inside and all that fun stuff. So true that we take it out on the ones we love the most. Thanks for the reminder to step back and look at the bigger picture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your monthly theme! This is such a good idea, I definitely want to join in on for next month. You always have the best verses and examples for exactly what I need to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you shared this! What an amazing focus and SO encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great reminder to serve The Lord and others before ourselves! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a little note! I love hearing from you!!